A week or so ago Illustrator playing silly beggars with most of the usual keyboard commands refusing to work. These included most ‘Option’ and ‘Space Bar’ commands. As well as losing these shortcuts, general weirdness would prevail.
This was the first time ever I had experienced such weirdness, yet it seems to be a pretty widespread issue.
When these keyboard commands disappear, you really understand how slow things become having to select each command with the mouse. It really did feel too crippling to try and muster on, the bug had to be vaporized.
At around this time I had downloaded Chrome Beta, so thinking this was the culprit, deleted it and downloaded the previous version. No joy there.
I then re-installed the entire Adobe Creative Suite, dumped crap load of pref’s, ran various disk utilities like DiskWarrior and other accepted forms of trouble shooting app’s. Still nothing.
Also around this time I had moved to a 64Gb SSD, so thinking it was just a case of a dodgy cloned OS X, I even re-installed the operating system. I have this down to a fine art, so didn’t take too long. Also felt good to be running lean and mean again, but no joy with the defeating the bug.
During this time of troubleshooting, Xmarks had been flashing up a dialogue box asking for my PIN number, each time I would just click it away as a minor annoyance. I didn’t enter the PIN because I couldn’t remember it and it just wasn’t that important.
It then struck me that this could be the problem. This PIN dialogue box had started popping up around the time of both the SSD and Chrome Beta install. Being the sharpest spoon in the drawer I reinstalled Xmarks and recreated a new account, this stopped any further PIN requests and so far, 8hrs later, no loss of keyboard commands in Illustrator.
It is early days, but the bug would appear within minutes of quitting and relaunching Chrome. So 8hrs¹ is a pretty good stretch of time
Since tweeting about this bug I do know many people are having a similar problem, but I don’t believe everyone would be running Xmarks. If you are not running Xmarks it could still be some browser plugin, extension or browser app compatibility issue. So if you haven’t tried yet, uninstall all your extras and see if that helps. It might be part of the problem, you never know.
¹ It’s now nearly been 24 hours, and still no occurrences of the Illustrator and Browser bug.